Week 9 Story: Family Man

Family Man


-Fisherman by Boudewijn-

The wise fisherman headed back to the shore after he had just caught the biggest fish of his life. He knew this fish would sell enough for him to pay for the next 6 months of his living. He knew he was not going to be on this Earth that much longer. He headed to the fish shop to sell his fish.

"Hello sir , I just caught they biggest fish that has been taken out of this ocean" the wiser fisherman said.

"Wow, that fish is amazing. I will give you $900 dollars for that fish." the fish shop over said back.

"Well you see, I would like to give this fish to you for free, but I want you to give my grandson 10$ for every fish he brings in here no questions asked for the rest of his life" replied the fisherman.

The fish shop owner agreed, thinking that his grandson will never bring in enough fish to cover anywhere near the 900$. The wise fisherman went home to talk to his grandson. He told him to sit down and listen and said, "Listen child, I have made you a deal that will benefit you the rest of your life, become a fisherman and you will never be hungry. Sell all your fish to the fisherman's shop by the ocean and he will take care of you.

The wise fisherman died a few months later, and his grandson was very sad. However, he inherited his boat and his fisherman equipment and took up the advice his grandfather told him. The grandson fished his whole life and caught hundreds of fish. The fisherman shop owner had just paid the grandson his 1000$ and started to realize his downfall but he knew he couldn't stop paying him. Eventually the owner told the grandson that he would give him his shop because the promise his grandfather made for him. The grandson had now become the wise fisherman and will pass this shop along in his family forever.


Reading Notes Shantanu the Unfortunate-

My story is similar but very different from original. I wanted to take the aspect of the promise with no restraints and see where it could take me. This story is related to my first story and I found it more fun this way. Below is my summary of the actual story.

The book is an account of how karma continues. Therefore it does not matter where the story starts. Shantanu falls in love with the river goddess. He promised to never disobey here. His wife drowned their first child in the river and he asked no questions. She killed the next 6 children. He asked her on the 8th child and she told him about the vishnus. She took away his 8th son.

Bibliography- Mahabharata Online: Public Domain Edition

Comments

  1. Hi Philip,
    I love your approach to this story! The idea of "the aspect of the promise with no restraints" is very alluring indeed, and you did a great job of creating a new story that branches off with that idea. Your story is very sweet, as it follows generational wellbeing, and I like how the grandson learns to adopt the wise ways of his grandfather by inheriting the good things that he left him. It is a beautiful side of karma that we often overlook. Great work, I loved reading this!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip,
    I read your story this week and I really liked it. I liked the moral of the story about the idea of "aspect of the promise with no restraints". I found your story to be really enjoyable because the characters in it seem so relatable. It's nice to see a grandfather take care of his grandson. It's crazy to think that one person would agree to those deals. I can't imagine every a deal where I would have to pay someone every time they brought a fish for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Philip!
    What an awesome story! I really enjoyed the moral of the story, my favorite sorts of stories are the ones that teach us some sort of lesson. I just came from a story of a grandmother raising their grandchild, and I am glad to see these sorts of relationships being normalized in writing because e it is such a normal household in our society that is often underrepresented. Overall, wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Philip,
    This was a really good story and I really like the way you went about it. It was definitely a change of pace of the original but I feel like the theme of karma is still present. I think you did a really good job of displaying the theme and making the story enjoyable. I also really like the dialogue you used and found it really funny. Keep up the great work! Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Philip a Sports Management Major